Permitted Development

Permitted development rights are available for most of the homes in the UK however their are restrictions or limitations on some building types, for example listed buildings. 80% of our work is conducted within permitted development however if their is a need to tackle planning permission we are more than capable. We have a very strong track record of success. 


Garden Areas


Outbuildings and/or extensions have a space limit in your gardens. They can not occupy over half the amount of garden space. As an easy to understand summary, your outbuilding footprint must be less than 50% of the area of land surrounding your home within permitted developments.

Height Limitations


There are also limitations to the height of an outbuilding within permitted development rights. Generally 2.5m in hieght  


General info

You don't need to obtain planning permission if;


  • The property has not already been extended
  • Materials used in the construction of your home are similar to those used in the construction of the conservatory
  • The conservatory doesn’t extend over more than half of the garden
  • The roof ridge, or top point, doesn’t reach any higher than your property’s roof eaves
  • The height doesn’t exceed more than 4 metres, or 3 metres if within 2 metres of boundary
  • Side extensions must not reach beyond half the width of the property
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms are present



  • Conservatories and orangeries must not exceed or cover in excess of 50% of the size of the house
  • Conservatories and Orangeries should not exceed 4 meters in height
  • Conservatories and Orangeries should not include any Verandas, Balconies or Elevated Platforms
  • Conservatories and Orangeries should not be more than half the width of the house
  • Conservatories and Orangeries should not have eaves higher than 3 meters if within 2 meters of a structure boundary

​For more information, we suggest that you contact the Planning Portal, the UK Government's online planning and building regulations resource for England and Wales.




Print | Sitemap
© Penrhyn Home Improvements